The decision to move from your home to a retirement community is one of the most important you’ll make. Here are some key questions to ask when researching and visiting retirement communities that will help you choose one that’s not only high quality, but where you’ll feel right at home!
• Is it close to friends and family?
• Is it in an area you’ll enjoy living in?
• Is it close to other areas you’d like to visit, or to family?
Safety and Comfort
• Is the facility is well-lit, and are hallways and walkways clear and kept free of obstacles?
• Are common areas and rooms such as dining areas, bathrooms, and social rooms tidy, attractive, and spotless?
• Is there a plan for infection and disease control in place, and can the staff can provide you with a copy of it?
Activities & Lifestyle
• Does the community offer plenty of varied activities such as crafts, gardening, access to shopping, dining and attractions? Ask the staff to provide you with a list of a typical week of activities and whether they can provide transportation if needed.
• If you have a pet, is it pet friendly?
A Culture of Respect
• Do the residents seem happy? Ask to visit with one or two residents who have lived there for a few years, and get their opinions on the pros and cons of living there.
• Does the staff treat the residents with respect? Are they friendly, and do they seem to like their jobs?
• Is the food nutritious, and is there a variety of food served?
• Does the food taste good, and is it served in an attractive manner?
• Are the chefs able to accommodate any dietary needs or restrictions?
At Mars Hill Retirement, we’re committed to excellence and to offering our residents a high quality of life. We’re located adjacent to Mars Hill University and have access to many of the events and activities at the University and in the town of Mars Hill. Come visit us and experience beautiful, spacious floor plans, elegant dining, a caring, dedicated staff, and a beautiful mountain seeing, including activities and experiences in nearby mountain towns such as Gatlinburg, Cherokee, Asheville and Johnson City, TN. Learn more about what we have to offer, then give us a call to plan your visit today!